Chuck Holton
Politics • Culture • News
‘I Repent a Thousand Times’
Migrants Who Left Prosperous Lives to Chase the American Dream Now Head South Again
February 23, 2025
post photo preview

Source: La Prensa, Panama

Karla Castillo thought she was making the right choice when she left Chile, where she had built a stable life over five years, to chase the dream of a better future in the United States. Now, with tears in her eyes, she says, “I repent a thousand times.”

Castillo, a 36-year-old Venezuelan and single mother of four, had work, security, and a community in Chile. But the possibility of making more money in the U.S. lured her into the treacherous journey north. She spent time in Venezuela before making her way through the Darién Gap, one of the world’s most dangerous migration routes.

“It was a bad decision,” she admits. “I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It’s the worst experience. You see everything—dead bodies, rapes, robberies. They grope you, they touch you.”

In Mexico, Castillo became a victim of a kidnapping attempt. Her plan was to reach the U.S. and then bring her children, but when border restrictions tightened, she found herself stranded. Now, she is on her way back—first to Venezuela, then hopefully back to Chile, where she once had a job as a nanny with “excellent bosses” who still keep in touch with her.

A Journey Fueled by Economic Aspirations, Not Asylum Claims

Castillo’s story is not unique. Many of the migrants now making the reverse journey south originally left behind comfortable lives in Chile, Peru, Ecuador, and Colombia. These were not desperate refugees fleeing war or persecution, but rather people seeking higher wages—an economic motive that disqualifies them from asylum in the U.S.

For years, Venezuelans and other Latin American migrants took advantage of lenient border policies under the Biden administration. They risked the treacherous Darién jungle and endured hardships to reach the U.S., hoping to find better-paying jobs. But with shifting immigration policies, many are now finding themselves unable to stay and are heading back south, often at great financial and emotional cost.

‘At Least I Made the Attempt’

John Orozco, a 49-year-old Venezuelan, spent six months in Mexico trying to secure an immigration appointment through the CBP One app—only to see it discontinued. He has now accepted that the U.S. is not an option for him.

“There was no opportunity, but I don’t regret it. I will never regret it,” he says. “The return has been even harder, and more expensive, but at least I made the attempt.”

Orozco is divorced, with one daughter in Venezuela and two children in the U.S. His return journey from Mexico has already cost him $900. He crossed into Panama through Paso Canoas at the Costa Rica border, navigating back roads to avoid immigration checkpoints.

In Mexico, he was able to work and save money, but loneliness weighed on him. Now, he plans to start over in Chile, where his sister is waiting for him in Medellín, Colombia.

“I’m not going to do anything in Venezuela,” he explains. “You can’t arrive empty-handed. You need capital to start over. Otherwise, you just end up working for a tiny wage that won’t get you anywhere.”

Reverse Migration Grows as U.S. Border Tightens

The flow of migrants heading north through the Darién jungle has collapsed by 94% compared to the same time last year, dropping from 34,839 people in January 2024 to just 2,158 in January 2025. This sharp decline follows stricter border controls by Panama and policy changes in the U.S.

Now, instead of migrants pouring into Panama on their way north, groups are attempting to enter from Costa Rica on their way south—retracing their steps in a painful and costly reversal.

Many, like Castillo and Orozco, are not simply returning to Venezuela, where economic conditions remain dire. They are looking to restart their lives in countries they once called home, places where they had jobs and stability before being tempted by the American dream.

A Dangerous Road Back

For those heading south, the journey remains perilous. Just last week, a boat carrying 21 people—mostly Venezuelans and Colombians—capsized off the Panamanian coast. While 20 survived, an 8-year-old Venezuelan girl tragically lost her life.

Despite the dangers and the hardships, the reverse migration trend underscores a stark reality: many of these migrants were never true asylum seekers. They were economic migrants who left behind stable lives in search of higher wages. Now, disillusioned and often in debt, they are making their way back—hoping to rebuild what they once had before they risked it all.

community logo
Join the Chuck Holton Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
10
What else you may like…
Videos
Podcasts
Posts
Articles
Israel fills Hamas tunnel with cement.

That’s one way to make sure it doesn’t get used again

00:00:17
Dust storm in Phoenix, Arizona
00:00:39
On the Shores of Issyk- Kul

Today I got a chance to check out the second largest saltwater lake in the world

00:00:49
Episode 622 - Field Producer Dennis Azato and Chuck Reminisce

My erstwhile field producer and cameraman Dennis Azato has accompanied me on ten years of adventures across the globe. Today he joins me in Ukraine and we spend some time remembering our many trips together.

Episode 622 - Field Producer Dennis Azato and Chuck Reminisce
Shooter Identified - A Transgender INCEL.

I won't share his name, but the guy was mental. also hated jews and everyone else, apparently. And the Obama/Biden Admins let these people into the military.

Good Luck with That…

Human rights watch threatens American troops for “war crimes“ being committed by Israel, says US troops could be held personally and criminally liable for assisting Israel in any way.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2025/08/26/gaza-us-forces-can-be-liable-for-assisting-israeli-war-crimes

It’s time to wake up before it’s too late.
.

post photo preview
Israel’s Audacious Raid Near Damascus and What It Means for the Region

Israeli commando units, supported by helicopters and about 15 airstrikes, carried out a daring raid on a military base just five miles south of downtown Damascus. This was in a Damascus suburb, practically in the Syrian capital itself.

 Syrian soldiers stationed at a former military facility in the town of Aliswah. The strikes softened up the site and cut off nearby roads to delay reinforcements. Then Israeli commandos hit the ground for what’s called “sensitive site exploitation” — essentially gathering intelligence, dismantling surveillance devices, and recovering equipment of value.

Reports indicate those devices had been placed there by Turkey, possibly more than a decade ago, giving Ankara a window into Israel’s activities. Removing them was a clear message: Israel will not tolerate hostile eyes watching its borders.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
Israel vs. the Information War

I’m convinced Israel’s greatest enemy may not be Hamas, Hezbollah, or even Iran. It’s the international press corps.

 

The Media Frontline

Every explosion, every casualty, every strike in Gaza is immediately weaponized in the media against Israel. And much of it is dishonest. The majority of people who become journalists lean left, which means they filter every story through that ideological lens.

Take the recent deaths of so-called “journalists” in Gaza. Critics like Scott Ritter claim Israel just “kills the messenger” because they don’t like what’s being reported. Ritter actually said Israel’s solution to bad press is to kill reporters.

That’s nonsense. Wearing a press vest or carrying a camera doesn’t make someone a legitimate journalist. And when someone uses that press vest as cover while aiding Hamas — whether by broadcasting IDF troop movements live, carrying an RPG, or even joining in the October 7th invasion — they’ve made themselves combatants.

I can tell you as a war correspondent: if I had filmed Taliban positions during a firefight and streamed it live, putting U.S. troops at risk, I’d have been treated as an enemy, not as a reporter. Israel operates under the same reality.

Meanwhile Hamas requires any journalist in Gaza to report from its perspective — and often forces them to delete footage or spin stories before publication. Many who wear “PRESS” vests there aren’t journalists at all; they’re Hamas operatives in disguise. That’s not freedom of the press. That’s propaganda.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
post photo preview
Israel Hits Houthis Hard in Yemen

 Over the weekend, Israel carried out a massive series of strikes against Houthi terror targets in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa. We’re talking about 10 aircraft hitting over 50 targets—fuel depots, power stations, and even the presidential palace. The result: huge fireballs, mushroom clouds, and a message delivered in no uncertain terms—Israel has had enough.

 

Why Yemen?

A lot of people ask: why are the Houthis attacking Israel at all? Yemen is more than 1,000 kilometers away and has little direct connection. But for the Houthis, hatred of Israel is written into their identity. Literally—their slogan reads: “Death to America, Death to Israel.” They claim they’re striking in solidarity with Gaza, but make no mistake: this is about ideology, not geography.

Over the weekend, the Houthis launched what’s believed to be a ballistic missile with a cluster warhead at Israel. Thankfully, it either broke apart in flight or was intercepted. Still, this wasn’t just another provocation—cluster munitions are designed to kill people, not destroy buildings. It’s a terror weapon aimed at civilians.

Prime Minister Netanyahu made it clear in his address from the IDF command center:

“Whoever attacks us, we attack them. Whoever plans to attack us, we attack them. For every missile they launch towards Israel, the Houthis will pay with compound interest.”

That “compound interest” looks like blackouts, destroyed military compounds, and a palace in flames. Israel is proving—again—that its deterrence rests on decisive action, not empty words.

Only for Supporters
To read the rest of this article and access other paid content, you must be a supporter
Read full Article
See More
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals